So, you think you have a book idea? But how do you know for sure? Over the course of a month, Craig will evaluate your idea and help you develop it, according to the following criteria:
- What is the book about: Who? What? When? Where? Why?
- What is the narrative? How will it unfold from beginning to middle to end?
- Who are the characters?
- What are the core themes? What will the reader take away from the book? Is there an argument being made?
- Biographical introduction: what excites you about the project?
- Why will it be relevant 2-5 years from now?
The 4-Week Diagnostic
Craig will read and evaluate your 80,000-word manuscript within 4 weeks. At the end of this assessment, Craig will provide you with a list of suggestions for how to maximize your manuscript for publication. There will be an hour-long phone call with Craig, where you discuss the assessment and steps for moving forward.
The Manuscript Accelerator
This is a 3-month plan where Craig will help you strengthen your manuscript. There will be monthly check-in calls and 3 “as-needed” coaching calls to help you make a plan for working through any obstacles that might be affecting your progress. At the end of the program, you will receive any of the following suggestions:
- To continue polishing your manuscript with Craig on a month-to-month basis
- To move on to the Query Letter
- To develop a plan for self-publishing
The One-Month Query Letter
Craig will guide you through all of the steps needed to find an agent and craft an effective query letter. This includes:
- How to research agents
- How to write an opening that will grab an agent’s attention
- How to pare down your book summary into one engaging paragraph
- How to write a paragraph-long biography that highlights why you are the person to write this book
- How to keep a spreadsheet to track submissions
At the end of the month, you will have a diagnostic phone call with Craig, where you will discuss what has worked and what might need adjustments.
The Book Proposal Intensive
Once an agent request to see your book proposal, Craig will work with you to craft your manuscript into a killer sales document. Remember, when you submit a book proposal, you are asking a multinational corporation–with shareholders–to invest potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars in your project. The book proposal needs to be approached with the seriousness of a mortgage application or a small business plan.
Craig will help you draft a marketable book proposal based on the following 7 components:
- Target Audience
- About the Author
- Marketing & Promotion
- Table of Contents
- Sample Chapters
There will be a monthly phone call check-in, and at the end of the process, Craig will read your draft proposal and give you suggestions on how to move forward.
The Self-Publishing Strategy
A 3-month program where Craig will help you navigate all of the elements of the self-publishing process:
- Cover design
- Back-cover copy
- Deciding which self-publishing platform is right for you (Amazon, Book Baby, etc…)
- Understanding the pros and cons of audiobooks
- Launching your book
At the end of the program, you will have a complete, self-publishing plan.